Monday, April 2, 2012

B is for Briggs. Patricia Briggs.

Every once in a while, you read a book that is so good, you simply have to read more just like it. Not only similar books, but similar books written by the same author. Because the voice is that amazing. Because the story is that compelling. Because the world is that rich and layered.

Also, less often, the amazing, compelling author actually has plenty of books already in print. You do a happy dance and set out to read every last word. You grab all your friends, shove the author's collected works into their hands, and force them to sit down that second and share the wonder with you.

For me, one of these authors is Patricia Briggs.


The first book of hers I read--and where I suggest you start--was MOON CALLED. MOON CALLED is your typical skinwalker-coyote-raised-by-werewolves tale . . . if the typical coyote, Mercy Thompson, left the werewolves to become a mechanic in the city . . . and if her typical mentor is a powerful fae . . . and if he is typically forced to transfer the mechanic shop to her a year before the story starts because the fae were "coming out" to the humans . . . and if she's typically forced to return to the wolves round about chapter 2 because the local (sexy) alpha is severely injured. . . . Dang. I'm going to have to read it again, now. And then I'm going to have to read all the rest, too. Because boy do they all have pretty covers.

Your fingers are itching right now. I know.
The insides are better.
Mercy Thompson also has a spin-off series, ALPHA AND OMEGA, which I suggest you read next . . . or simultaneously, since the plot lines aren't exactly one-then-the-other. Just see her printable book list for pub dates and that will keep you mostly satisfied.

Best expansion of a short story ever.
Both of these series are urban fantasy, both have lovely romances that don't rely on the couple splitting up at the beginning of each book to create romantic tension, and both are chock full of awesome.

But that's not all. Patricia has more books.

Patricia started out writing high fantasy, and those books, while not as fantastic as her more recent ones above, are still very, very cool. I'm not going to describe them all, but check out her book list and read them all. Seriously. I just finished reading the last two books of hers that I hadn't read yet and she has always been good at storytelling.

That said, though, one of the best reasons to read absolutely everything she has written is to see her evolution as a writer. Though her earlier stories were good, they weren't grab-your-friends-and-make-them-read-fantastic. She's that good now, though. Which means she's been able to grow as a writer. She's been able to improve beyond her first published efforts. She has stretched herself, branched out over the years, and has reached a level I can only describe as phenomenal.

I want to be like Patricia when I grow up.

So which authors have you felt like this about?

13 comments:

  1. I find that Patricia Briggs books are kinda hit and miss for me. I loved the first few Mercy books, but my love affair has become far less passionate on the later ones. I didn't like Cry Wolf at all (though I'm told if I'd read On the Prowl first I might have liked it more) and I didn't even make it through Dragon Bones. Alas. I wanted to love all her work, but, for whatever reason, that wasn't meant to be LOL

    To be fair though, I don't think there's any writer out there with a wide body of work where I've loved everything of theirs that I read. Take Neil Gaiman, for example. I love, love, love most of his work (Neverwhere is a favourite) but some of the stories that other people adore leave me disinterested.

    Maybe I'm just fickle ;)

    Happy A to Z :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read RIVER SECRETS? That's my favorite. So cool. And yes, read the short story before you read CRY WOLF. Lots of explanation, there.

      The earlier works, like I said, aren't universally excellent, but I loved THE HOB'S BARGAIN.

      Delete
  2. OH! I LOOOOOVE Patricia Briggs! I've probably been reading her since I was sixteen years old. I haven't read anything of hers outside the Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series, but one of these days I will.

    And holy crap-- fair game is out? I've been waiting for that next book FOR EVA! -rushes off to grab Kindle now-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read FAIR GAME yet, either. Totally need to.

      Delete
  3. I love Patricia Briggs, too. Especially the Mercy Thompson stories. Not so much Alpha and Omega. I just don't care as much about Charles and Anna.

    But, for me, that author, also starting with a "B" is Lois McMaster Bujold. I even love her science fiction, which is unusual for me.

    I would love to be the Lois McMaster Bujold of YA fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-I want to be the Patricia Briggs of YA Urban Fantasy. ;)

      Delete
  4. I've not heard of Patricia, but you've certainly got me interested:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LURVE Patricia Briggs! I haven't had a chance to listen to the next Alpha and Omega book, but I'm going to download it when I next credit becomes available on the 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Robin! Thanks for the author recommendation! I'm always on the lookout for new books and authors to read. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recommendations! I'm always hunting books. :) I'm like that with Neil Gaiman, Kate DiCamillo (kids books), among others. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, another author to add to the list :-)

    ReplyDelete