Tuesday, June 5, 2012

200 Posts--and I Feel Like a Slacker


In honor of my 200th blog post, I've written a poem-type thing using only 200 words. It's about why I feel like a slacker (mostly because I am). Enjoy!


One day job: full-time fun, free-time price
Too many books to read: sixty-seven this year... so far
Three children growing fast: how can I not read to them?
Forever companion: he lets me read, he lets me write. He deserves attention
Five people in a fixer-upper I should occasionally clean.

I have written, edited, polished, and queried one book
I have finally outlined my next book
I have an idea sitting, gathering sparks
I have a short story percolating, waiting its turn
I have to query more, write more, edit more, dream MORE.

I’m a slacker group leader of an awesome writing group
I’m a procrastinating host of a podcast that's been silent too long
I’m a blogger of writing topics who neglects her own writing
I’m a wanna-be who wants it to be NOW
I’m afraid I’m a poser.

There aren’t enough hours in the day or days in the year or years in my life
There isn’t a single excuse for the way I’ve been waiting for my dreams
There can’t be a vice more powerful than sloth
There doesn’t seem to be rest for the weary
There won’t ever be a pinnacle I’m happy to rest on.


What dreams do you neglect?

14 comments:

  1. 67 books? You're one ahead of me, so you're definitely accomplishing SOMETHING. BTW: You've read PARTIALS, right? I'm loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finishing #68 today. Have you read SHATTER ME? Awesome book. And dystopian!

      PARTIALS is still on the TBR list. Thanks for reminding me.

      (If authors would stop quiting such cool books, I'd get a lot more writing done!)

      Delete
    2. Nope, haven't read SHATTER ME yet. I've got it, just haven't gotten TO it. Eventually I will, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Love it! You are so not a slacker. You wrote a poem and finished a book and outlined another and you're married and have three kids--that's like 10 jobs all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I replied to this days ago but I guess not. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Right. There's a difference between being a slacker and being overwhelmed, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but then there's all that lying around doing nothing much that I do. That could be productive time, right?

      Delete
  4. Here are three very important words to remember: Enjoy the journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very beautiful post. You're an amazing lady, Robin! And I bring tidings of great joy to you . . . you won the critique from author Jaime Rush. So rush your synopsis or query to my email inbox: info@jamieayres.com
    ~CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you write that for me? thanks! my life to a T!
    excellent job!

    ReplyDelete