Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why I Love James A. Owen

Okay, so I just met the man last week, but gee wiz, is he inspirational! He was the Keynote Speaker / Guest of Honor at LTUE last week, and I hated that I had to stop taking notes long enough to count alllll the people in the room (I was gophering his address, of course).

I honestly can't say enough about his address. It was basically his life story and all the times he got kicked in the teeth by life, dusted himself off, and chose to continue to succeed.

My favorite quotes from his address:
We all have something unique to us that no one else will completely understand: our point of view. We have to decide how much we believe in what we see, even if it means telling the entire world they are wrong.
There are two secrets to drawing: 1) Making lines on paper, and 2) Choosing where they go.
If you really want something, no one can stop you. If you really don’t want something, no one can help you.
I took simply pages of notes, but there is some awesome news: you can read it all for yourself in his ebook: Drawing Out the Dragons. And, for a VERY limited time, you can read it for free. He posted today that he wanted to give away 1000 in the next 24 hours. I'm not entirely sure when 24 hours ends, but it's gotta be soon. Hurry over!! UPDATE: You can still download the ebook for another week: http://on.fb.me/JAOoneDay (Thanks, Heidi2524.)

Then, watch for his soon-to-be-scheduled Authors' Advisory Conference Call. Yeah, I'm jacked, too. :)

13 comments:

  1. I have never been so inspired as I was at that Keynote Address. James A. Owen is my hero!

    I think about all the things he said and I get chills every time.
    Thank you for sharing this! (I actually am posting all about the Keynote Address on Monday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. James is a rock star. And he hugged me! TWICE! :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words! And Robin is TOTALLY huggable. ;)

      Delete
    3. Awwww! James thinks I'm huggable! :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info, Robin! I downloaded my book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said this a million times in the past week, but that really was one heck of a inspiring address! I can't wait to read the book now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Robin, downloading.

    Love the quot about wanting something or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got jacked up to write a great story:) I am a firm believer that you write about what you are passionate about . . . it shines in your writing. Hey, I'm doing first page critique contest over at my blog if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post - so glad you got to hear James speak in person. He's still giving away free copies of the Drawing Out The Dragons ebook for another week because of something that happened as a result of the keynote he gave at LTUE. He wrote a note about it on his Facebook page - http://on.fb.me/JAOoneDay

    ReplyDelete