Saturday, June 11, 2011

I have 100 followers!! Prizes for everyone!

I started my blog on October 28, 2010.

166 days later, on April 12, 2011, I hit 50 followers.

Today, June 11, 2011, 60 days after my 50 follower mark, I have 100 followers!

I love you guys!

I want to do something to celebrate. Would anyone be interested in a first page crit? I'm willing to critique the first 250 words of the WIP of any blog follower (current or future). Mostly to give you an idea of what your average reader would think about your first page, and possibly some ideas to improve it.

Also, since I've been thinking about beginnings lately, I'd love to have your permission to share (anonymous) portions of my favorites in a future blog post about what works in a first page.

If you're interested:

  1. Between today and June 18, 2011
  2. Click my Email Me link in the sidebar, under my picture --->
  3. Use the subject "First Page Crit: [Title of Your Book]"
  4. Tell me the genre and put a quick 2-sentence pitch at the top of the email so I have a feel for what the book is about.
  5. Put your first 250 words in the body of the email. (Not as an attachment.) Please add space between paragraphs, and stop at the first full sentence before you hit 250 words (mainly to get you in the habit of not cutting sentences short for when you send partials to agents).
  6. Indicate if you'd be willing to let me use my favorite parts in a future post about first pages.
  7. Indicate if you'd like to be named if I use portions of your work on my blog. (I'm only planning to quote the good parts.)
Thanks again, everyone! Triple digits are awesome! :)

20 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'd love to take you up on this offer. Congratulations on your 100.

    Margot
    www.margothovley.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'll watch for your email! :) Thanks!

    (I was a bit worried no one would bite.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool. I'll have to give it a try once my WIPs are a little less rough. Or maybe that defeats the purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  4. M: That's up to you--if you'd like me to look at it now, I'm more than happy to. If you already know what's wrong and don't need me to help fix it, that's fine, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on hitting 100 followers! :) I might bite and join the contest. Better check my first page first...make sure it's not all crap. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Funny, though, I think I was one of your first Followers, you've had my first chapter since May, and I STILL don't have a crit from you. What's up with that?? 'Course, I haven't gotten yours back to you either, so I GUESS it's all fair ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so wonderful. I might just send it on it's way. Thanks!
    100! That's awesome, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Cherie! I'd love to read your first page! (Really, this is just a selfish way to get a peek at what my friends are writing.) :)

    Susan--what, you still wanted me to crit that? I thought your bootcamp group gave you all the advice you needed! I'll get right on it....

    Shelly--thanks! *Checks email, prepares to be amazed*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 100! That's awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Robin!! 100 followers is brilliant! Woo hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Katie and Kristin! I couldn't have done it without you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, Robin! And what a wonderful way to celebrate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 100 followers, Robin! This is such a great idea. Seriously, I'm totally debating stealing this if and when I get another 13 followers to hit the big 1-0-0. Hope you get lots of interesting entries!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pk--thanks!

    Sophia--steal away! I stole the idea from Brodi Ashton! (Though she did it just to be nice and I'm doing it to celebrate.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea. I just sent you my first 250 words of my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Eric! I'll get that back to you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Brodi! I'll always be proud that I was one of your first 100 followers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job, Robin! I am so excited for you! 100 is fantastic! I'd enter but you've got my book right now beta'ing it. Just wanted to say Congrats and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, yeah, Julia--I've already critted the heck out of your first page. :D

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete