Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Win a 50 Page Critique


My friend, Ru, is giving away a free 50 page critique to a lucky winner on her blog, And then she was like blah blah blah, in order to celebrate her upcoming writing retreat. (Though I think she's really trying to sabotage her writing time by critiquing someone else's stuff instead, but who am I to judge?)

One of the coolest things about Ru is that she's a lawyer and a novelist. Lawyer + Novelist = Totally Awesomesauce. Ahem. Just saying.

Also, lawyers make good critiquers:

  • We like to find the parts of writing that don't fit with the whole so we can yank on them and make the whole thing unravel. We do this for FUN.
  • We know all the various ways you can hide the actual point behind high-falutin' mumbo jumbo--so we can spot it when you do it and can help you unearth it.
  • Just to get through law school, we wrote tens of thousands of words which were then scrutinized by professors who have to publish regularly just to keep their jobs. Tough crowd, let me tell you.
  • Especially in the law, the devil is in the details. Every word has meaning and scrutinizing each and every one of them is second-nature to us. We just can't help ourselves.
So go enter Ru's contest. You'll thank me later.

Also, I'm curious. If I offered a critique as a prize for something, how many of you would bite? I mean, I'm no Ru, but my name starts with R. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking. And I'd totally bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for the link. Critque prizes are always tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and Robin would be so know about the lawyering and crtiquing thing. If Ru is half as good a critiquer as Robin is, Ru will do great by whoever wins!

    ReplyDelete